You’ll feel great on the outside and inside with natural spa products made from fresh ingredients at Hotel Tropico Latino’s Yoga & Spa Natural.
Article by Shannon Farley
There’s a lot of talk about natural ingredients in skincare products. People these days want organic products free of man-made chemicals.
Inspired by remedies used in Bali, which has many of the same tropical ingredients as in Costa Rica, only natural spa products are used at Tropico Latino, says Yoga & Spa Natural owner, Maria del Milagro Quesada Vargas.
For facials, scrubs and wraps, pure skincare mixes are made fresh for each guest using local Costa Rican ingredients like papaya, carrots, honey, cucumber, aloe, seaweed, coffee, coconut, almonds, mint, rosemary, citrus, and volcanic clay. Fresh ingredients are absorbed easier and faster into the body and have the maximum amount of vitamins compared to processed ingredients, says Maria.
Keeping with the hotel’s philosophy for sustainability and carbon neutrality, the spa only uses products they can get locally or that are sourced from artisan producers in Costa Rica. For massage and body treatment lotions, oils, and aromatherapy scents, Maria works with micro-companies in Costa Rica that make these items with natural ingredients, without chemicals and additives.
Guests can choose the ingredients they want, and therapists also give recommendations based on the person’s skin type and desired result. All exfoliation scrubs and wraps include a 20-minute relaxing and moisturizing massage with an essential oil such as lavender, rose, chamomile, or tea tree.
Natural Spa Products at Yoga & Spa Natural
- Papaya – high in vitamins A and C; acts as a powerful exfoliator that will make your skin lighter and softer.
- Coconut – good for hydration and moisturizing for dry skin.
- Almonds – good for sensitive skin because it is a fine scrub.
- Coffee – anti-oxidant for all skin types; gives you energy due to the caffeine.
- Fine Sea Salt with rosemary and mint – to refresh the skin from the heat of the beach
- Fine Sea Salt with citrus essential oil – controls oil in the skin, anti-bacterial, gets rid of itchy insect bites.
- Volcanic clay – good for oil control, insect bites, and ridding toxins from the body.
- Papaya, carrot and honey – rejuvenates the skin with a vitamin boost of beta-carotene and vitamins A and C; honey is naturally antibacterial and antibiotic.
- Seaweed – tones the skin and sends minerals to the joints.
- Aloe vera, cucumber and lavender – this cold wrap treats sunburn, reduces inflammation, hydrates the skin, and refreshes the body.