Who would have thought that smothering yourself all over with thick gray mud would be a good thing? What is it about volcanic mud baths that is so good for you?
Volcanic mud baths are reported to keep you healthy, happy, and beautiful … if not exactly smelling like roses. People have been taking volcanic mud baths for centuries as a form of skin therapy. Mud facials and body treatments can be found now in high-end spas around the world.
Volcanic mud baths typically combine hot spring water with volcanic ash, which is similar to fine sand (silicon) and is Mother Nature’s natural skin purifier. Not only is it rich in minerals, like sulfur, magnesium and zinc, its exfoliating properties means that it removes dead outer layers of skin while it cleanses the skin. Zinc and magnesium help heal inflammation. Sulfur has been used to treat every conceivable skin irritation and infection, including acne. The sulfur in volcanic ash also is said to slow down a person’s aging process because of its ability to protect against the toxic effects of pollution and radiation.
At the incredible Guanacaste ranch and Hotel Hacienda Guachipelin at the foot of the magnificent Rincon de la Vieja Volcano in Costa Rica, you can enjoy volcanic mud baths at their two natural hot springs: Rio Negro Hot Springs and Simbiosis Spa & Hot Springs.
What is it about volcanic mud baths that is so good for you?
1) Incredibly relaxing – the warm, soft mixture of the mud is soothing and comforting, like a cozy blanket.
2) Detoxifies your body – the toxins and impurities will be drawn out from your body.
3) Relieves muscle and joint aches and pains – the heat and minerals from a volcanic mud bath and hot springs have incredible anti-inflammatory properties.
4) Softens your skin – the volcanic ash exfoliates your skin.
5) Puts a little adventure in your life – remember when your mother told you not to play in the mud? Now’s your chance to be a little kid again and go for it!
Article by Shannon Farley