Guanacaste – known as the “sunny side” of Costa Rica – is a preferred Costa Rica vacation destination and popular place to live for its famous Pacific Coast beaches. Known as the “Gold Coast” or “Costa Rica’s Riviera,” here you can find everything from wild, completely deserted tropical beaches to booming, buzzing beach towns full of life, hotels, restaurants, night clubs and activity.
The northwestern province, named after Costa Rica’s national tree the Guanacaste, is home to seven national parks. Its unique dry tropical forest habitat is created from the region’s nearly-always sunny, dry and hot climate. Rolling plains, low coastal mountains, and the towering Guanacaste Mountain Range with its powerful volcanoes create a diverse topography and microclimates rich with biodiversity.
Flights from all over the world arrive at the Daniel Oduber International Airport in Liberia (LIR), bringing visitors to these popular Guanacaste Costa Rica beaches and all of Guanacaste’s attractions.
See some top things to do in Guanacaste, Costa Rica:
- Whitewater rafting on the Tenorio & Corobici Rivers
- Sensoria Land of Senses Rainforest – an amazing Guanacaste rainforest tour!
- Heliconias Rainforest & Hanging Bridges tour
- Canyon Canopy Zip-line tour
- Rio Negro River Tubing adventure at Rincon de la Vieja Volcano
- Symbiosis Spa at Rincon de la Vieja Volcano
- Palo Verde National Park river cruise
- Corobici River Float tour
- Horseback Riding at Rincon de la Vieja Volcano
- Snorkeling tour, Culebra Bay Cruise & Sunset Cruise
- Catamaran sailing tour
- Nature tour at Hacienda Guachipelin
Article by Shannon Farley